Pages

Monday, December 18, 2017

Graphic Novel for '80s Kids, Gamers, and Gunters

The Comic Book Story of Video Games: The Incredible History of the Electronic Gaming RevolutionThe Comic Book Story of Video Games: The Incredible History of the Electronic Gaming Revolution by Jonathan Hennessey

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was born in the late '70s and grew up in the '80s, so I have many vivid memories of the Atari game console, video arcades, the Nintendo revolution, the change over from Nintendo to Sega, et al. For me, this was a fascinating history of the technology that had to happen in order for the human race to have massive multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs) and other gaming technology at our fingertips.

I noticed some reviewers thought that it took the graphic novel too long to explain the background technology, but for me, the background technology and some of the names and faces behind it were some of the charm and fascination of this book.

If you're a fan of Ready Player One, this is an absolute must-read for you. Like Parzival, you need to know your gaming history if you want to navigate the Oasis.

I received a copy of this graphic novel in exchange for my review through BloggingForBooks.com.

No comments: