Pages

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Library Book Haul May 2015

On Thursday the 14th, I took my Irish Granny's list of books she wanted to my local library's used media sale. These are the selections I found for her.


I've read and liked a few John Grisham novels; I think my favorite has been A Painted House. I think I'll skip Sycamore Row, though.


This last one I probably will read, because I loved Sue Monk Kidd's The Mermaid Chair so much. Mom, Grandma, and I all loved that one. I haven't read The Secret Life of Bees yet, but one of the library volunteers at the book sale told me Kidd has a gift for writing realistically in the voice of a young girl.

Grandma and I needed some kind of a distraction on Thursday, because that was the day my cousin Joe's biopsy results came back from the laboratory. The news wasn't good. He'd fallen out of a tree stand while hunting (his friends live in Michigan - deer hunting is a quintessentially Michigan activity) and hurt his back. In the process of treating him, his doctors found a spinal tumor. Well, the analysis of the tumor revealed just about the worst news possible: not only is the tumor malignant, but this type of malignancy usually begins as a type of colon cancer.

Colon cancer killed our grandfather in 1994. The difference is, our grandpa was 69 years old. My cousin Joe is 25. At the moment, I have the feeling it will be some kind of miracle if he lives to be 27. He's not married and has never had any children. Please keep him in your thoughts if you can spare a moment to do so.

I've hardly had any time for reading lately, but I'm attempting to read:


On my commute, I'm currently listening to:


No comments: