Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A Midsummer Night's Dream




Does this black-and-white version of the fairy queen Titania look familiar? A bit like Scarlett O'Hara, perhaps? Yes, that's Vivien Leigh.





"Over hill, over dale,
Through bush, through brier,
Over park, over pale,
Through flood, through fire,
I do wonder everywhere,
Swifter than the moon's sphere;
And I serve the fairy queen,
To dew her orbs upon the green."
(Act II, Sc. I, Lines 2-9)





"If we shadows have offended.
Think but this, and all is mended -
That you have but slumb'red here
While these visions did appear.
And this weak and idle theme,
No more yielding but a dream,
Gentles, do not reprehend.
If you pardon, we will mend...
Give me your hands if we be friends,
And Robin shall restore amends."
(Act V. Sc. I Lines 418-425, 432-433)





Oberon: Ill met by moonlight, proud Titania.

Titania: What, jealous Oberon! Fairies, skip hence.
I have foresworn his bed and company.

Oberon: Tarry, rash wanton: am I not thy Lord?

Titania: Then I must be thy lady...

(Act II, Sc. I, Lines 61-65)




"The course of true love never did run smooth."
(Act I, Sc. I, Line 136)


No comments: