Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

SOC Sunday: Outside the Comfort Zone


What have you done recently or would like to do that’s outside your comfort zone?

I can't (and don't want to) give too many details, but before the end of the year I'll have to travel a considerable distance from my home within the U.S., and that travel is far outside my comfort zone. As you may know, I've already been to Kansas this year, and Kansas is far, but it isn't scary. Next I'll have to actually leave the Midwest and arrive at an urban destination. 

Yes, Chicago is equally urban, but Chicago is comfy and familiar to me. Next I'm going into foreign (so to speak) urban territory where I don't know the local transportation system - and people in Chicago are still Midwestern, so they're still pretty friendly, but I don't know about this "new" place. 

I'm not afraid to fly, but I'm afraid of the unknown. This place is completely unknown to me, although hubby has been there before - once. He'll be with me (he always is - in ten years of marriage, we've still never spent a night apart), but he's not much of a tour guide. We're nervous, but excited. 

Technically, I've been to the biggest urban area in the U.S. before - New York City - but I only ever saw Kennedy airport. I was there for about four hours total, going to and from Spain. You'd think if I could handle an international trip to a foreign country where I speak the language only at a rather elementary level,  I should be fine in a unknown U.S. city. I'll be fine. But I'm anxious. 

9 comments:

Jamie Miles said...

Good luck on your journey. I can so relate to this. My neighbor, a mom and wife just a bit younger than me -- travels all the time for her business. I so want to take a trip like that, alone. To NYC. It would be so far out of my comfort zone but exciting at same time. A personal goal in my next decade is to travel more (if money will allow). And I want to do a lot of it alone and expand that comfort area.

a.eye said...

First, that is really impressive that you have never spent a night apart after a decade together! Amazing.

Hopefully, once you get to the new destination it will be easier for you. Look up some places online close to where you are staying so you are comfortable with those areas before you get there, and use the resources of whatever event you are attending to.

Good luck!!

Gina said...

I can't wait to here where. I agree with a.eye. Check out a map, similar as to what you probably did for Spain in advance. It will certainly help. Or browse a book about it. When I traveled for business, I found myself in many large cities alone and often driving. You get used to it. Report back, pease!

Anonymous said...

I totally understand. I'm living in Poland right now! Moved here from Texas and do not speak Polish. We have no family here.

What I'm saying is, I get it. Also? I wanna go home and be comfortable! ;-)

Erin O'Riordan said...

My mom's grandparents were from Poland. I get my Yiddishkeit from the Warsaw ghetto. But I've never been to any other European countries besides Spain.

Unknown said...

Stopped by from SOCS ...

Your post really hit home for me. I do not travel well.

Haven't been on a plane since 2004 and haven't left Phoenix since 2008. And I wouldn't have done either of those, if I hadn't had absolutely no choice.

I wish you peace, joy, and a safe journey.

Unknown said...

I dunno if you have children, Erin, but any geographical change, for me, involves worries about my daughter: finding a good school, pediatrician, hospital, dentist, you know, the basics. Moving to a totally different state would scare the bejeesus outta me. Moving to another country? I don't think I could do it.

tracy@sellabitmum said...

Thinking about you. xoxo

Erin O'Riordan said...

Fortunately, I'm not moving - just going on a sort of business trip. I don't have kids, partly because having to worry about things like pediatricians and good schools would annoy the shizz outta me.