Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris ~ A Mother-Daughter Review

My mom and I both read Deadlocked, the 12th Sookie Stackhouse novel by Charlaine Harris, this week. So that you can better visualize the reviewers of this book, I present this photo, taken three Mother's Days ago at a fancy-schmancy brunch. We're drinking mimosas.
I am the dark-haired one. 
This is the impression I recorded on GoodReads. I do not promise a spoiler-free zone.

Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse, #12)Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Sookie Stackhouse, you listen to me: Eric is a jerk. Except when he was under a witch's spell, Eric has always been a jerk. You do not love Eric. In your 13th and final novel, you'd better decide to get back together with Bill, or you will break my heart.

This wasn't the most exciting volume of Sookie's adventures, and the ending was abrupt. The climactic scene almost felt tacked on, as if Charlaine Harris needed a last-minute excuse for Sookie to use the powerful faery-magic object she possessed. But reading a Sookie Stackhouse novel is like visiting a long-established friend. Whatever happens in the next book, I will tear through it in three days like I did this one, and I will sob when it ends, however it ends.

Bill says he'll refuse to make Sookie a vampire, but we'll see.

View all my reviews on GoodReads


Southern Vampire Mysteries Gifts at Cafe Press

My mom must have finished it last night. She e-mailed me her impressions, which were as follows:

"OMG!  Why, why was Claude so bad!   Why did Eric leave Sookie! 
 Why did Quinn suddenly call?  
 Why did all the faeries have to leave America?? What about Sookie,  won't she need some fairy connection?    This book was so good.   I can't wait for the answers to all these questions.
I bet Sookie ends up with Sam or no one, just her nephew."

I love that my mom e-mails using the phrase "OMG." (I'm going to die laughing the day I get an OMFG.) I composed an in-kind reply, which went like this:

"Eric is a jerk. Eric's always been a jerk, except when he was cursed. 
The Quinn part, I think, was just wrapping up a loose end. 
Sookie will be fine without the fairies. Besides, Dermot stayed. 
You think she'll end up with Sam? I don't know. I'll be sad if it's not Bill."

"Sad" won't begin to describe it, actually. I'll be bereft. But I was wrong about one point, which Mom corrected me on:

"Dermot didn't stay.  At the last minute he went.   His father finally acknowledged him."

Of course you're right, Mom.

Season 5 of True Blood, please hurry up and get here. Now, gratuitous werewolf flesh.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/46936021086936007/

Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

Shah Wharton said...

I love that you can share this adventure with your mom. Wish my mom read more.

I really love Eric - but I haven't read this book yet. I read on Kindle and I'n not prepared to pay more than £5 for an electronic book!! Thats absurd! So I'll wait for the price to lower - it eventually does.

Plus, I wasn't hugely thrilled with the last one - which seemed kind of flat for a Sookie book? Double Plus - I will be GUTTED when I read the last book of this series, so I'm in no rush to get there.

And anyway, I ALWAYS have a million books in my TBR pile to get through, because I keep bloody-well adding to it!

I am not a massive Bill fan. I am chuffed they wed in real life though. :) I think she'll end up with Sam - thats the word on the grape-vine and apparently the most obvious choice according to her uber-fans. We'll see. I always loved Eric. He's gorgeous, funny and cocky. An intoxicating blend. But It would also be cool if she ended up with a were/shifter :)

I do love animals :P

Erin O'Riordan said...

Our copy was a hardcover from the library. We started buying them before 'True Blood,' when they came out in paperback and went straight to the genre shelves. We were not happy when they started coming out in hardcover; seemed like kind of a screw-you to the loyal fans who'd been buying the paperbacks. So now we wait for the paperback before we buy it.

I've never seen Sookie-Sam as a particularly romantic pairing, but of course, I won't be satisfied with anything less than Sookie and Bill getting back together.